Re: [Exim] Help with Exim/Procmail Dlvry

Author: Odhiambo Washington
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Help with Exim/Procmail Dlvry
* Suresh Ramasubramanian <mallet@???> [20010813 16:52]: writing on the subject 'Re: [Exim] Help with Exim/Procmail Dlvry'
> * [Odhiambo Washington on 13/08/01 16:34 +0300]
> > I am a FreeBSD lunatic and I have setup Exim to work with procmail.
> > I have put an rcfile as /usr/local/etc/procmailrc but it seems to me that
> > it is being ignored during delivery.
> > How do I convince Exim that the procmailrc I have should be nice
> > stuff for it to look at? I need require_file or something?
>
> Put a .forward into your homedir ... or use the procmail_pipe transport /
> director (you'll find umpteen instances on the exim list archives).

The users I'm dealing with here don't have shell access. I'm going the
procmail way because I'd like to enable them activate vacation via e-mail
just by sending a message with "vacation on/of" in the subject, thus the
need for the global procmailrc. I could put dot.procmailrc and dot.forward
in /usr/share/skel that will get copied to their homes but I thought that
instead of filling my disk with thousands of dot files, I could use a
single procmailrc for everyone.
At some point I also want the users to activate/deactivate mail forwarding
to another address at will just by sending an e-mail to themselves with a
subject and something in the body that I can match with procmail.
I looked at the FAQ and was also wondering if I can have _multiple_
require files, like

require_files = /usr/local/etc/procmailrc : $local_part:$HOME/.procmailrc

[Procmail by default looks for a global then personal rcfile, from what I
read from its man page]

If someone can give me another option whereby a user without shell access
can do the above two (without necessarily contacting the Mail Admin
(me)) then I'll be glad to opt for that method. I am trying to get away
from the /usr/bin/vacation option because it would require me to be
adding/removing the .vacation.msg everytime.

> I was discussing this with Sheldon Hearn the other day ... he feels that users
> can jolly well set up a .forward if they want to use procmail with exim on
> freebsd :)

Sheldon _must_ have missed the fact that some Servers have users who have
different levels of access - shell, ftp-only, e-mail ;-)
I want to treat all of them equally when it gets to mail.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

Assembly language experience is [important] for the maturity and understanding
of how computers work that it provides.
-D. Gries