[Exim] stupid majordomo/demime tricks

Author: Richard Welty
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] stupid majordomo/demime tricks
well, i fumble fingered that one... let's try again.

i've been taking some of the knowledge i've gained from the book
(which is wonderful) and starting to improve my configuration.

here is a simple demime trick which i set up with my majordomo lists.

normal demime setup is simply place it in a pipe in an alias file,
like so:

alfa:         "|/tools/majordomo/demime - |/tools/majordomo/wrapper
resend -C /tools/majordomo/digest.cf -l alfa -h digest.net -f
owner-alfa alfa-out@???"

which also in an exim config requires setting use_shell =3D yes in the
pipe transport. demime is only applied where you actually include it
in the pipe declaration.

i have moved demime to a transport filter for my majordomo_pipe
transport:

majordomo_pipe:
driver =3D pipe
user =3D majordomo
group =3D daemon
return_fail_output =3D true
transport_filter =3D "/tools/majordomo/demime -"

and have removed it from the alias file, and gotten rid of use_shell.

pros:

demime is now applied to all administrative requests as well, so mime
won't confuse majordomo itself

cons:

this is probably less efficient overall because demime is being called
more, and while the shell has been eliminated, transport filters do
still cause an extra exim process to be spawned.

richard