Re: [Exim] Very Slow response: exim -bt

Author: Kevin Sindhu
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Odhiambo Washington, Exim Users, ice
Subject: Re: [Exim] Very Slow response: exim -bt
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 03:40:31PM +0100, Philip Hazel penned:

>> DNS lookup of mail.wananchi.com (A6) gave TRY_AGAIN
>> mail.wananchi.com in dns_again_means_nonexist? no (end of list)
>> returning DNS_AGAIN
>> DNS lookup of mail.wananchi.com (AAAA) gave TRY_AGAIN
>> mail.wananchi.com in dns_again_means_nonexist? no (end of list)
>> returning DNS_AGAIN
>> DNS lookup of mail.wananchi.com (A) succeeded

> Presumably the delay was in those two lookups for IPv6 DNS records (A6
> and AAAA). The DNS server, instead of saying "no such record" instantly,
> gave a timeout. That means there is a problem with the DNS server.

If you are indeed interested in setting this with IPv6 (and ofcourse
have IPv6 ready machine/tunnel-broker), just add an entry in your DNS Zone
file with something like:

mail.wanachi.com.   IN  AAAA    IPV6-address

(Example)
ipv6.open-systems.org.          IN      AAAA    3ffe:1200:3028:8655::1

And reload your DNS. Anyway, don't forget to add the MX entries if you
do set this up!!

> Solution: recompile Exim without IPv6 support, unless you are
> particularly interested in running IPv6.

[...]

> [Aside: at the IETF meeting that I'm currently attending, the consensus
> at a discussion of AAAA vs A6 records was to use only AAAA records, and
> not to proceed with A6. So the next release of Exim will have A6 support
> removed.]

Ok, so its been settled then? At present I am doing both A6 and AAAA
on my DNS just in case some IPv6 speaking program does not do one or
the other..

Is it safe for me to take these entries out or should I wait?

-Kevin

--
Vanilla, adj.:
    Ordinary flavor, standard.  See FLAVOR.  When used of food,