Re: [Exim] using exim on a LAN

Author: Dave C.
To: lee engel
CC: Phil Pennock, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] using exim on a LAN
Incidentally, I wouldnt let the firewall actually function as an MTA - I
would set up the firewall to allow outbound port 25 from the exim box -
you get much better control over the queue of messages waiting to be
deleivered that way. Also, most 'firewall' smtp servers just suck in
terms of usability and RFC compliance. For inbound mail, again, forward
port 25 from outside to the exim machine. You get the ability to verify
addresses at SMTP-time (and reject mail to nonexistant accounts), plus
its one less thing to troubleshoot when something goes wrong. If you set
it up so that the 'firewall' accepts the message and stores it, and then
transmits it to the exim box, then it may well be accepting al sorts of
junk and spam that the eximbox could otherwise reject out of hand..