Re: [Exim] Multiple Mailservers with one domain

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Gary van Blerk
CC: Exim-Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multiple Mailservers with one domain

On Wed, 08 Aug 2001 16:36:47 +0200, "Gary van Blerk" wrote:

> Here is the idea: The users send mail to the local Linux server running
> Exim. It will determine whether the
> recipient is local or not and then it will deliver accordingly. If the user
> is not local it will forward the mail to the
> Head Office "Smart Host" for delivery.

I would think that the best solution, provided that accounts can be
centrally administered, is to keep one alias file for the entire virtual
domain, and copy it around to all the mail servers whenever there's an
update. This assumes you don't update it too often.

The file would then look something like this:

md:        jbloggs
jbloggs:    jbloggs@???
anne:        anne@???
fred:        fred@???

All that distinguishes one mail server from the next is its notion of
local_domains, and even that can be automatic if the hosts are named
appropriately.

This worked very well for Internet Africa when management bandwidth was
scarce and updates didn't occur too often. If that's your situation
too, it should serve you equally well.

Ciao,
Sheldon.