Re: [Exim] help on smtp and pop

Author: jon
To: mandal
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] help on smtp and pop
mandal wrote:

> Hi
>
>    Can somebody tell me how to save all the mails or redirect the mails to a
> specific address when somebody uses exim as smtp and pop server without the
> user knowing about that.

We do something similar here at work, though we have TOLD and INFORMED
people about it in advance, and further told them any mail are company
mail. use webmail for private emails.

We also copy all bounced messages to info@ without the sender knows it

so, here's how we do it:

# any mail to *@silicide.dk that bounces are copied to info@???

errors_copy = *@silicide.dk info@???

# custom error messages

errmsg_file = /var/spool/exim/silicide_error_msg.txt

message_filter = /var/spool/exim/system-wide-filters/save_all_messages
message_filter_file_transport = save_copy_delivery

# a system wide filter

# above is all in main section

# transport section

save_copy_delivery:
driver = appendfile
group = mail
mode = 0660

-------------------------------
filter file
----------------------

# exim filter <<== do not edit or remove this line!

if first_delivery then
        noerror unseen save /home/mail/copy_of_all_messages/$message_id
endif

# "make sure that your perl script respects fcntl locking."
# this filter just dumps all mail as a unique file where a
# perl script does further processing.

----------------------
noerror means sender wont be informed if there are errors
unseen means reciever will get the email
save dumps it to a file.
$message_id is a uniqe number, so each message gets its
own file, which the perl script can process.
The perl script is supposed to delete the file afterwards.
I havent yet looked into getting the filter to execute the
perlscript, or actualy making the perl script (another
dude does that).

ion++
ps: please respect peoples privacy, and only do this when
they are informed.
ppss: people can circumvent this by using pgp to encrypt
their email.
pppsss: using pgp is always adviceable.