Re: [Exim] message delay warning messages

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Nicholas Blackaby
A: Suresh Ramasubramanian, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] message delay warning messages
Hello,

On 6 Aug 01, at 17:42, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> * [Nicholas Blackaby on 06/08/01 13:00 +0100]
>
> > delayed warning messsages and non-delivery reports to "non-
> > human" senders. Over the past weekend he exceeded his mail quota and
> > as a result, message-delayed-warning-messages were sent in response
> > to messages he received from a listserv-based mailing list.
>
> Well - such bounces - at least in a well configured mailing list
> (using VERP) should be going to the list manager software (listserv).

Sorry, I appear to have misled you. As far as I can tell the bounce
messages _did_ go to the list manager software which in turn sent
the user a message containing the text:-

[...deleted...] Bear in
mind that this error report was processed by a computer that
cannot tell "User JAIME24 does not exist" from "Please note that
the Department of Microbiology will be closed from December 19
to January 2" or "Attempts
to deliver your message have been unsuccessful for 300 seconds;
will keep trying for another 431700 seconds." These informational
messages while possibly useful to a human reader, should not be
sent in answer to a message coming from a mailing list (it is very
easy for the mail program to determine whether a message is
coming from a mailing list). [ ... deleted ...]

The last sentence appears to suggest that Exim should be
configured (or at least configurable) not to send warning messages
to listserv software managers?!! My question was: is this possible to
do easily with Exim? If so how, please?

However, my personal view is that the onus lies with Listserv: surely
_it_ should be capable of knowing when it has received a particular
type of message, rather than blaming Exim for sending it in the first
place! Moreover, since Listserv apparently does not use the
Precedence header, identifying Listserv messages isn't as simple as
it ought to be!

Thanks,
Nick.
--