Re: [Exim] criticism/comment about missing info in install d…

Author: Chris Seberino
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] criticism/comment about missing info in install docs
Philip

Thanks for the replies. I don't think
you or anyone would intentionally make exim
confusing or difficult. I was just phrasing
things a certain way for the sake of argument.
Perhaps it came across badly?

I'm actually very thankful for exim because I believe
in the GPL. I'm sure you know that out of
sendmail, qmail, postfix and exim, yours is the one
with the best license (in my opinion). I would not
lose any sleep if exim keep improving and surpassed all
those other systems combined.

>That's why you really want the newbie to
> write documentation, not the expert.

I am definitely the moron newbie.
I'll tell you what I can do for you based on your wish.
I will assist you in writing the quick install section of exim
docs if any changes need to be made. I will try to
compile exim on Red Hat Linux and Slackware Linux based
*only* on knowledge gleaned from Exim quick install docs and
see if there are any other areas we can improve.

Since I am guessing Linux is the biggest platform for exim,
and we want exim market share to grow as much as possible,
it is vital the quick install for exim/Linux be absolutely
immaculate. Let's work together to do this. I would
consider helping you on other sections of exim docs
depending on how far you wanted to pursue this. I'll
leave it up to you.

I *am* interested in learning more about
email systems and could easily find a book to accomplish
this. However, perhaps by *ONLY* reading your exim
docs and pointing out areas to you I'm still confused on we
could leverage my "ignorance" to our advantage.
All this would take is a little email traffic.
I am a decent technical writer myself having had
to write 100+ pages for the dissertation of my
physics Ph.D.

Sincerely,

Chris