Re: [Exim] criticism/comment about missing info in install d…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Chris Seberino
CC: Creedon, Ted, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] criticism/comment about missing info in install docs
On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Chris Seberino wrote:

> I have. I'm pretty confident that if one reads the entire
> book one can install exim but one should be able to do
> a quick install from reading the quick install section
> don't you think?

The "quick install" section is supposed to be the README file. Many
people have put up simple Exim systems in 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, as I've said before, I'm not omniscient[*]. I didn't know
that there were systems that did not have /etc/aliases files as
standard. Now that it has been pointed out to me, I will add words to
the README and the default configuration. And indeed the manual in due
course (and the book, if there's a new edition).

In fact, "touch /etc/aliases" is not the right thing to do. If you don't
have any aliases, it is better to cut out the aliasfile director and
save some work. (But actually, every host running an MTA SHOULD have at
least a "postmaster" alias, and probably an alias for "root" as well.)

> My concern is having to go on
> a scavenger hunt thru a large document to get
> all pieces necessary to install.

I try to make it as easy as I can, but it's complex software. You can't
run an MTA without learning quite a lot. And, as I am continually
discovering, you can't _write_ an MTA without learning a _heck_ of a
lot. :-)

[*] For non-English speakers: that means "knows everything".