Re: [Exim] SMTP Timeouts sending mail

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: John D. Wilson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP Timeouts sending mail
On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 01:46:36PM +0100, John D. Wilson wrote:
> We've started having problems with clients sending mail via exim.
> All our users mail clients e.g. outlook, pegasus, outlook express etc
> are throwing up timeout errors when sending mail. Telnetting to
> the mail server's SMTP port take upwards of 70 seconds to display
> the banner.

Check out -

> The system is a Linux box running 2.2.17-21
> Exim version 3.22
> Any help gratefully received

If you telnet to localhost port 25? Does it still take that much delay?

What's the load on the system, how many threads of [exim|pop daemon etc]
are running on that? How much disk space free?

That could be another reason for exim slowing down. Or maybe a lot of
undeliverable junk in the mail queue courtesy sircam.

    -suresh