Re: [Exim] starting exim (and RPMs available)

Autor: Greg Ward
A: exim
Assumptes vells: Re: [Exim] starting exim
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] starting exim (and RPMs available)
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Midwest Mold wrote:
> First I will appologize for my ignorance in needing to ask this
> quetsion. I am just getting my feet wet with linux & find myself
> stumbling more than I want to admit. That said, I am installing
> exim-3.22 on a p90, 32 m ram, 10g hd, rh7.1. I think I have nearly
> everything set, but I can't figure out what starts the exim daemon. I
> did rpm -e sendmail which removed all traces of sendmail from
> /etc/rc.d/. I think there should be something in /etc/rc.d to start exim
> shouldn't there?

On 01 August 2001, Philip Hazel replied:
> I'm not a Linux person, and not familiar with RPMs, but given that there
> are now ways of completely removing sendmail, perhaps somebody should
> generated a suitable /etc/rc.d for Exim. I think the problem is that
> this stuff is very operating system specific.

Anyone who wants to run Exim on a Red Hat system should get Red Hat's
PowerTools disc, which includes Exim. (Or just download the Exim RPM if
you don't want to bother with buying/downloading the whole CD.) A quick
search at rpmfind.net shows that PowerTools 7.1 includes Exim 3.22.
Before I switched to Debian, I used Red Hat's Exim build quite happily.
It does include a script in /etc/init.d for clean startup/shutdown.

See
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=exim
for a fairly impressive list of Exim RPMs available out there.

The situation is similar (but even better) under Debian; I believe Exim
is the default MTA for Debian. It too includes an /etc/init.d script.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@???