Re: [Exim] Saving rejected messages to a file

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Greg Ward
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Saving rejected messages to a file
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Greg Ward wrote:

> Mainly out of curiosity, I want to save messages rejected by the system
> filter somewhere. After much fiddling and head-scratching, I came
> across this in the manual:
>
> If either `freeze' or `fail' is obeyed in a system filter file, no
> deliveries are done, not even those set up by `mail' commands in the
> filter. See the `freeze_tell_mailmaster' option for a way of having a
> message sent when a message is frozen.

You are working from an old version of the manual (and presumably an old
release of Exim). The latest release is 3.32. The manual now reads thus:

The interpretation of a system filter file ceases after a "freeze" or "fail"
command is obeyed. However, any deliveries that were set up earlier in the
filter file are honoured, so you can use a sequence such as

    mail ...
    freeze

to send a specified message when the system filter is freezing (or failing)
something. The normal deliveries for the message do not, of course, take
place.

This change was made at release 3.16.