[Exim] Forward Slashes in local parts

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Marc Haber
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: [Exim] Forward Slashes in local parts
Hi,

almost every appendfile director contains the local part of the mail
address some where in the file name being generated. For the file
option, the manual says that a delivery error is generated if the
local part contains a forward slash. We are exclusively using maildirs
over here, so I can't verify this.

However, with other options like set in this director:
|systemuser_maildir:
|# This director matches local user mailboxes. This is needed at least
|# for local root mail which is delivered to admin. Local delivery is
|# not done if SYSTEM_MAILDIR doesn't exist in the user's home dir, so
|# users can control delivery.
|  debug_print                   = "D: systemuser_maildir for $local_part@$domain."
|  driver                        = localuser
|  transport                     = system_maildir_delivery
|  require_files                 = $local_part:+SYSTEM_MAILDIR

this magic doesn't apply and nasty error messages are generated when
an e-mail message comes in with a slash in the recipient's local part:
|   Windows/admin/pp@???
|     file existence defer in systemuser_maildir director:
|     file name for existence test is not fully qualified:
|     windows/admin/pp: retry timeout exceeded

To make messages to this non-existent address properly bounce, I'd
probably have to replace the forward slash in the file name with a
different character.

What character would be a good idea? It should be non-lethal in file
names, and it should be disallowed in local parts of e-mail addresses.
Is there such a character?

Or is there another way to solve this issue?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc