RE: [Exim] Faq Q0301 for dummies?

Autor: John Horne
A: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] Faq Q0301 for dummies?
On 26-Jul-2001 at 08:25:49 Jeff Meininger wrote:
> I have a linux machine (192.168.1.4) on my lan that runs exim. I have
> an OpenBSD machine (192.168.1.1) that serves as a router to the internet
> via a connection to my ISP.
>
> My ISP's smtp-server has been getting really flaky lately, so I decided to
> try using exim on the linux machine as an SMTP server for my LAN.

Thinking about this later yesterday I thought the answer I gave may have
been wrong. However, I think it is still valid, but I am now a bit confused
as to the problem.

If your ISP's server is flakey then how will using Exim on the linux box
help? Mail will still have to go through the ISP. You say that it is for
your LAN, so how is mail for the LAN currently handled - if not by the linux
box then I assume the openBSD one or another one on the LAN? If so then
what's the problem with that?

Regards,

John.

E-mail: jhorne@???