Re: [Exim] help with Smtp_auth

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Mole
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] help with Smtp_auth
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Mole wrote:

>    I am wondering has anybody managed to get smtp auth working with exim
> version 3.22 on Solaris 8 ?

I develop Exim on Solaris 8, and my test suite does test AUTH...

> server_condition = "${if pam{$1:$2}{1}{0}}"

... but I haven't used PAM on Solaris.

> [194.129.249.23]: 435 Unable to authenticate at present: Permission denied

This sounds similar to the problem with PAM on Linux, which is in the
FAQ:

A0037: There is a problem using PAM on Linux with shadow passwords when the
       calling program is not running as root. Exim is normally running as the
       Exim user when authenticating a remote host. I don't know of an easy
       resolution to this.