Re: [Exim] remote_max_parallel

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Simon Huggins
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] remote_max_parallel
On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 10:06:15AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > Is there a way to still deliver multiple messages to the same host
> > in one connection but start up up to remote_max_parallel connections
> > for different hosts?
> That's not a meaningful question without some background context. If
> we ignore special cases like dial-up hosts, Exim will deliver multiple
> messages to the same host in one connection only if there has been a
> delay. If all is going well and there are no delays, each message
> arrives and is immediately delivered over its own connection by its
> own delivery process.

Ok, the background context is a mailing list.

So I have n subscribers @wanadoo.fr for instance and to be more
efficient exim should only try to contact the MX for wanadoo once really
but I have various other subscribers at random domains. Enabling
remote_max_parallel seems to imply that even for the same host it will
make different connections which seems suboptimal. However it is an
option I want to use if I want to get the messages out to everyone
reasonably speedily.

> > Preferably configurable so it'll send them in say n messages per host.
> For messages with large numbers of recipients that are routed to the
> same host (more than can be sent in one copy of the message), there
> are trade-offs between multiple connections and multiple copies of the
> message down one connection, but I'm not sure if this is what you are
> talking about.

Yes, that is indeed what I meant.

Perhaps what I wrote makes more sense now it's in the context of a
mailing list?

--
----------(     "Excusing bad programming is a shooting      )----------
----------( offence, no matter _what_ the circumstances." -  )----------