Re: [Exim] Re: RBL Domainsy

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: RBL Domainsy
[mailed and posted]

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
> > [...] it might be reasonable to set RBL lookups with a separate
> > (configurable) timeout.
>
> There are some numbers, but it isn't entirely clear what they mean (see
> dns_retrans and dns_retry). One could always wrap an alarm() call round
> it, I suppose.

That's what I was afraid of.

My concern is a bit more abstract. I simply don't like the idea of a
failure of one RBL DNS server seriously disrupting the performance of
a large number of mailhubs.

But I'm not sure whether this is worth using alarm() that way.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html