Re: [Exim] Re: RBL Domains

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Mark S. Guz
Para: Andromeda
CC: Exim
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Re: RBL Domains
Andromeda wrote:

> At 12:41 19/07/2001 +0100, you wrote:
> >well, for me. it took 30+ seconds to clear the dead server.
> >For instance, if I telneted to port 25 on the afflicted server it took
> >30+ seconds to give me the usual prompt.
> >This tranlated into timeouts for all of our users and a build up of half
> >open connections on our server.
> >took out the dead server and boom, back to normal.
>
> That HARDLY constitutes useless. Besides, your users should be exempt from
> RBL lookup. If you have specific nets that are YOUR nets, I would strongly
> suggest you exempt them from RBL lookup. Am I repeating myself? I guess I do.

well if it won't respond within a reasonable time the build up of half
open connections goes over the to many concurrent connections limit and
whoops, server starts rejecting connections. so even if i exempted my
own address space, the amount of mail coming from the outside world
would swamp the server if it was takeing 30+ seconds to deal with each
connection.

> As far as Philip's suggestion goes, the logging of those two errors/return
> codes would be a BIG step towards identifying the problem without having to
> telnet to your port 25. You agree with me on that? I hope so.

my point exactly

> Regards
>
> Andromeda
>
> --

Mark S. Guz
Senior System/Network Engineer
IT

Scotland On Line
Technology Park
Gemini Crescent
Dundee DD2 1SW

Tel + 44 (0) 1382 429000
Fax + 44 (0) 1382 429001
http://www.scotlandonline.co.uk

This message is confidential and may contain privileged information. You
should not disclose its contents to any other person. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender named above immediately.

It is expressly declared that this e-mail does not constitute nor form
part of a contract or unilateral obligation.

relate to the official business of Scotland On Line Limited shall be