Re: [Exim] SMTP auth

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Dave C.
Cc: Tamas TEVESZ, Erik Mathisen, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] SMTP auth
On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Dave C. wrote:

> Anyone installing an MTA on a unix server SHOULD have some basic
> knowledge, and how SMTP/ESMTP works would be one of those basic things
> that should be able to be assumed.

When I started to write Exim, in 1995, I assumed that it would be
installed by sysadmins who had a reasonable knowledge of Unix and the
Internet, and in particular, SMTP and Internet mail. I wrote the
documentation accordingly. In the intervening years, more and more less
experienced people have had to do sysadmin tasks, because systems like
Linux have become widespread. Whenever I update the manual, I seem to
find myself adding additional explanation for the benefit of such
people. [I also assumed it would always be installed from source.]

I understand Erik's frustration, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.
In writing the book I have tried to assume less knowledge, and to give
more examples (there is an SMTP tutorial in an early chapter). Future
editions of the manual may have fewer examples in some areas, and the
response RTFB will become common. :-)