[Exim] high load tcp connection characteristics

Author: Ross West
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] high load tcp connection characteristics
Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a way to get exim under high incoming
tcp connection load to just refuse the connection instead of answering the
tcp connections and issuing a "421 too many connections" message.

The reason is we are running a L4 load balancer in front of the
servers, and it will automatically re-route the incoming session if
the server doesn't answer the connection - the LB proxies the inbound
initial TCP setup and re-routes it if necessary. A very nice thing if
the server dies for some reason.

I've been reading/playing around with the "smtp_accept_max" [and
associated] parameters but to no avail, maybe I'm just not hitting the
right combination yet.

I'd hate to just set smtp_accept_max and let the L4 system just go by
system load with no runaway catches. :-)

Cheers,
Ross.

--
  Ross West                 mailto:exim@linepoint.com