Re: [Exim] Exim-3.31 refuses to start. [soleil twit]

Autor: Sheldon Hearn
A: Odhiambo Washington
CC: Exim Users
Assumptes vells: [Exim] Exim-3.31 refuses to start.
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim-3.31 refuses to start. [soleil twit]

On Sun, 08 Jul 2001 16:39:23 +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> This might interest some of us. I took chances with my weekend yesterday,
> while things looked calm, and
> decided that I can upgrade Exim on a production server. I am running FreeBSD
> 4.3-STABLE with the latest
> ports (cvsup Firday 06-07).
>
> First, I killed the Exim daemon, then
> cd /usr/local/etc
> cp -Rp exim exim.bak (just in case)

The Exim port doesn't touch your configure file, only configure.default.

> cd /usr/ports/mail/exim (scanned the Makefile just to be sure I have CDB
> enabled)
>
> make install clean
>
> After that I checked /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
>
> There was no exim.sh

That's because you failed to read the pkg-message file from the port,
which is actually displayed to the terminal from which you install the
Exim port or package.

Wake up. :-)

By the way, you're going to find that you get very little help from
anyone "out there" until you open up your mailbox to the people you
ask for help. You clearly haven't actually put much thought into your
anti-spam idea. At least have the decency to add the Subject lines of
your outbound mail to an exclusion list.

Ciao,
Sheldon.