[Exim] Exim-3.31 refuses to start.

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Odhiambo Washington
Para: Exim Users
Temas novos: Re: [Exim] Exim-3.31 refuses to start. [soleil twit]
Asunto: [Exim] Exim-3.31 refuses to start.
This might interest some of us. I took chances with my weekend yesterday, while things looked calm, and
decided that I can upgrade Exim on a production server. I am running FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE with the latest
ports (cvsup Firday 06-07).

First, I killed the Exim daemon, then
cd /usr/local/etc
cp -Rp exim exim.bak (just in case)

pkg_delete -f exim-3.22 (one or two complaints, but okay)

cd /usr/ports/mail/exim (scanned the Makefile just to be sure I have CDB enabled)

make install clean

After that I checked /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

There was no exim.sh

So I went ahead and copied one from somewhere in the system

I checked my configure file, which did not require much modification and believing things are okay, did

sh exim.sh start

ps ax | grep exim - Nothing shows.... exim.sh is set executable.

tail -8 /var/log/exim_paniclog ..Nothing that suggests why exim won't start.

After fiddling for about two hours and can't figure out anything, even from /var/log/messages,

cd /usr/ports/mail/exim && make deinstall
cd /usr/local/sbin && rm -rf exim*

cd /home/wash/Software/exim-3.22
make clean
make install

sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim.sh start and there I was....Exim running again.

Now the $4 million question, Why did exim-3.31 refuse to run? And why doesn't it put the startup script
at the right place?

Thanks.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

A large number of installed systems work by fiat. That is, they work by being
declared to work.
-Anatol Holt