Re: [Exim] Exim suddenly does not start.

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Sean Knox
CC: Exim-Users@Exim. Org (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim suddenly does not start.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2001 15:31:12 MST, Sean Knox wrote:

> I have been running Exim 3.22 on FreeBSD 4.3 smoothly for several weeks. I
> needed to
> restart Exim to send some thawed messages. When I attempted to do this, I
> received this error:
>
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "liblber.so.1" not found

If you install Exim from the ports, its dependency on the LDAP libraries
is registered with the package management system. In that case, you'd
get a warning or error if you tried to remove the openldap package, on
which the exim you've chosen to install depends.

It looks like you're building and installing Exim by hand, and have
removed openldap.

Consider installing Exim using ports/mail/exim-ldap to avoid nasties
like this in the future. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.