[Exim] Re: exim and DB lookups ?

Author: John Ward
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: exim and DB lookups ?
OK !

after some serious time management issues, i managed to get some time for my
boxxie!

The version of DB is 2.7.7 and is installed on the box and without any
problems.

I am using the USE_DB=yes option in Local/Makefile

this seems to give no errors when compiling.

with the db_dump185 function, i can see the details of the ipaddress and the
time counter etc in the table.

when i pop to qpopper, i get my address inserted into the database and all is
well.

When i try to relay, it says i'm not recognised.

I then try the /usr/local/bin/exim -d 9 -bh 10.1.4.83 , which is the ip
address of the laptop i'm testing from and pop'ing from.

I then emulate a mail connection and all goes well until I enter the rcpt to:
address, in which case it queries the DB, snd low and behold, it says..
<<<---snip--->>>
SMTP<< rcpt to: john@???
search_open: lsearch "/usr/exim/aliases/domains"
cached open
search_find: file="/usr/exim/aliases/domains"
key="ret.ree" partial=-1
LRU list:
7/usr/exim/aliases/domains
End
internal_search_find: file="/usr/exim/aliases/domains"
type=lsearch key="ret.ree"
file lookup required for ret.ree
in /usr/exim/aliases/domains
lookup failed
ret.ree in local_domains? no (end of list)
ret.ree in relay_domains? no (end of list)
search_open: dbm "/etc/mail/popauth.db"
LOG: 0 PANIC DIE
failed to open /etc/mail/popauth.db as a db (v2) file: Invalid argument
search_tidyup called

I must also add that if i do a db_dump (from berkeley utils) that it gives a
similar error, and only when i use db_dump185, that it works.. how odd.

Any clues as to what needs to happen here ?
also, its the same error if i use the option dbm or net-dbm

thanks, john