Re: [Exim] 3.31 with minimal compiled-in stuff won't fscking…

Author: John Burnham
To: S. Joel Bernstein
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 3.31 with minimal compiled-in stuff won't fscking compile
> I had disabled all the stuff I would otherwise enable, like LDAP, mysql,
> perl etc.
> Why is there no line in the EDITME makefile to warn to use -lwrap with
> tcp-wrappers? I'm a sysadmin, with basic programming skills, but I don't
> think I could be expected to know this...

You mean like:
# TCP wrappers: If you want to use tcpwrappers from within Exim, uncomment
# this setting. See the manual section entitled "Use of tcpwrappers" in the
# chapter on building and installing Exim. ?

Hmm, yep - a quick grep through spec.txt then reveals:
"4.6 Use of tcpwrappers

Exim can be linked with the "tcpwrappers" library in order to check incoming
SMTP calls using the "tcpwrappers" control files. This may be a convenient
alternative to Exim's own checking facilities for installations that are
already making use of "tcpwrappers" for other purposes. To do this, you
should
set USE_TCP_WRAPPERS in Local/Makefile, arrange for the file tcpd.h to be
available at compile time, and also ensure that the library libwrap.a is
available at link time, typically by including -lwrap in EXTRALIBS_EXIM. For
example, if "tcpwrappers" is installed in /usr/local, you might have

USE_TCP_WRAPPERS=yes
CFLAGS=-O -I/usr/local/include
EXTRALIBS_EXIM=-L/usr/local/lib -lwrap "

The stuff is there, you just have to look.
John