Re: [Exim] Why no man pages for Exim on FreeBSD?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Sheldon Hearn
A: Juha Saarinen
Cc: 'Philip Hazel', 'Tabor J. Wells', exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Why no man pages for Exim on FreeBSD?

On Wed, 04 Jul 2001 21:05:05 +1200, "Juha Saarinen" wrote:

> Well, if you were a FreeBSD user, you would understand why I ask for man
> pages. They're a funny lot... you say: "How are you?" and they reply
> "man (7) howami".

Actually, FreeBSD culture is anti HTML documentation, not info
documentation. Check out /usr/share/info next time you have a free
moment. :-)

I originally sent this rationale off-list because this is getting
off-topic, but since there are obviously more people chipping in than
the original recipients, I repeat myself here:

1) Philip doesn't maintain manual pages.
2) Manual pages aren't as browsable as some of the maintained browsable
formats.
3) Of the maintained browsable formats available, only info format is
supported by a browser in the FreeBSD base system.
4) The kind of documentation supplied with Exim is better suited to info
files than manual pages, because the documentation is written in the
style of a book, not a reference page.
5) Info files are already a well-established source of documentation in
the FreeBSD base system.

Ciao,
Sheldon.