Re: [Exim] Write to spool dir

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Herman Cremer
CC: Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] Write to spool dir

On Tue, 03 Jul 2001 14:25:12 +0200, "Herman Cremer" wrote:

> I am running a ColdFusion Application server,
> wich I use to send mail from WEB pages.

Welcome to the crap that is ColdFusion. :-)

> This function however does not work as well as it should,
> and I am looking for a way to work around it.

There's not much you can do here, trust me.

Your best bet is to configure ColdFusion to relay through your Exim
SMTP listener (even if on the local host) and make sure that your CF
code validates e-mail addresses so that they're at least syntactically
correct [1]. Then turn off Exim's receiver address verification, at
least for the CF host.

This ensures that Exim handles all bounces, since you've no doubt
discovered that CF is too stupid to do this for itself. :-)

> Is it possible, and if so,
> what is the FORMAT and PERSMISSIONS, to write
> a file to the spool DIR of the mail server,
> so it can be delivered with exim, and not ColdFusion.

You _don't_ want to do this. If you want to learn the hard way, the
Exim manual (specification) discusses spool file formats in enough
detail for you to figure out what you need by examining the contents of
some live spool files.

> This would be a small breakthrough in ColdFusion Mailing,
> and I hope anyone can help.

Ciao,
Sheldon.

[1] This is the crucial part that I'm still battling with here.