Re: [Exim] Notes and exim unclear about line ends - I doub't…

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: J. Haynes
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Notes and exim unclear about line ends - I doub't it's exim's fault
On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Marc Haber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an exim (a fairly recent one, I think a 3.22) delivering e-mail
> to a local notes server.

We have the same setup (well an older Exim version but otherwise the same)

>                          Yesterday, I had a broken e-mail on my exim
> queue that resulted in the following conversation

I have seen exactly the same thing. I also get a huge line in my
exim_mainlog which says 'malformed SMTP response' and then quotes the
whole of the notes 500 replies to every line of the message (this makes
for interest when trying to read the log!)

> notes: 250
>
> Eventually, a time out.

So Exim requeues. However Notes thinks it has sent a 250 so delivers the
part of the message up to that point. When the next queue run occurs Exim
redelivers (initially we have short retry times on local mail
machines) and Notes does the same again so the Notes user gets multiple
messages.

> Unfortunately, I don't have the original message any more, but I
> suspect it contained the hex string "0d 2a" somewhere which notes
> considered a dot on a single line, believing this to be the message's
> end while exim was still delivering.

All the ones I have seen look like this. I have successfully edited the
file to remove the <CR> before the . and it then delivers OK. Usually
however the departmental Notes support staff tell me just to delete it
so my tests have not been exhaustive.

> Any comments will be appreciated.

I agree with you that it is the fault of Notes. The people who support
Notes in the relevant department are not quite so convinced.... They say
that they cannot find anything in the Notes knowledgebase about this. If
you can find a fix for Notes I would love to hear it.

Of course we may both be wrong and it may be Exim's fault, in which case
I'm sure someone will tell me why I am wrong.

Jonathan

                             J. R. Haynes
                          Network Team Leader

     Cranfield Computer Centre,      e-mail: J.Haynes@???
     Cranfield University,
     Wharley End,                    Tel: Bedford (01234) 754205
     Cranfield,                           Bedford (01234) 750111 Extn 4205
     Beds.,                          Fax: Bedford (01234) 751814
     MK43 0AL.