Re: [Exim] uid/gid

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Tim Waugh
CC: Sheldon Hearn, exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] uid/gid
On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Tim Waugh wrote:

> The question then becomes: when should the names be bound to UIDs? If
> the answer is 'at build time', then the advantage over the current
> situation seems quite small to me (the extra time to run 'id' if you
> can't remember the numbers, over the time already spent hand-editing
> EDITME).

My answer is indeed "at build time", and I agree with you. But (a) the
work to do it is very small and (b) there could be advantages in setting
up build-time configurations that are used on many different systems,
where the actual numbers are different, but the names the same.

In fact, I might well put

EXIM_USER = exim

as the default in the EDITME file, for instance.

> If the answer is 'at run time', then a whole bunch of risks start to
> appear.

Indeed.