著者: Sheldon Hearn
To: Midwest Mold
CC: Philip Hazel, exim
題目: Re: [Exim] uid/gid

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 06:46:40 EST, Midwest Mold wrote:

> So how do I select the proper uid/gid. Do I randomly select a number
> out of a hat, or are there specific considerations I don't know
> about. I would rather not wreck the entire system by my ignorance.

First, pick numbers that aren't already in use, unless they're reserved
for the username and group that you want to use (e.g. an existing group
mail).

Then, if you work with a distributed environment (for example, you use
NFS), try to choose numbers that won't be reserved on your other hosts
either.

In fact, it's the NFS case that blocks the addition of an mta username
to FreeBSD every time the issue is raised. :-(

Ciao,
Sheldon.