Re: [Exim] Mail server load

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Jeremy C. Reed
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Mail server load
On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Tamas TEVESZ wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Scott Stavretis wrote:
>
> > I am about to start using exim and need to build/find a server for it to
> > run on. I would like some peoples opinion on what equipment they
> > recommend I will need to run a mail server with around 30,000 users. I
> > plan to run exim and qpopper on this server. Running Linux.
>
> forget qpopper and the mbox format. opt for maildir and anything that
> can handle that (courier works well here. and not just here *hint
> hint*)

I have sometimes heard the opposite: maildir can cause performance
problems with POP3 servers -- especially when the server is being hit with
numerous POP3 connections and each of these users has hundreds to
thousands of messages.

I can imagine that a mail spool with thousand small 1K individual messages
would be harder on the server than one mailbox file. But maybe a few
maildir individual messages of great size (several megs each) would be
less intensive than one huge mailbox (of the same messages).

Does anyone have info on or URLs to some POP3-based maildir vs. mbox
performance benchmarks that compare messages of varying sizes?

  Jeremy C. Reed
     ISP-FAQ.com -- find answers to your questions
     http://www.isp-faq.com/