Re: [Exim] Socket Bind Error/ Permission Denied (read the ar…

Author: Ivan Beveridge
To: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [Exim] Socket Bind Error/ Permission Denied (read the archive)
On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 10:19:45AM -0700, Karl Balsmeier wrote:
> I read the archive and killed all the extra mail processes, even commented
> all mail services out of inetd.conf, but i'm still getting the permission
> denied error when I try to test send. (from root or others)
>
> 2001-06-24 21:40:05 socket bind() to port 25 for address (any) failed:
> Address already in use: waiting before trying again.

This is to do with a server trying to start up, and failing to bind to the
SMTP port of the relevant IP address. This happened yesterday (so maybe is
a red herring). If it is not, check what is connecting to the port with
lsof.

> 2001-06-25 07:58:12 15EXoa-0003ed-00 Cannot open main log file
> "/var/log/exim/mainlog": Permission denied: euid=8 egid=8

Check permissions on the logfile and directory.

> These errors indicate another MTA, am I on the right track here, I see
> sendmail processes popping, am I on the right track as far as trying to
> eliminate these so exim can function, or is this error due to something
> else?

The former points to another MTA running (use lsof to confirm which
process - eg lsof -i tcp@10.0.3.4) - the fact that you saw sendmail running
at a point in time does not mean it is running as a daemon (but may be a
good pointer ;)

The latter points to a permission problem (user doesn't have read/write
access to the logfile / directory structure).

Cheers

Ivan
--
Ivan Beveridge         Systems Architect          SportBusiness Group
<ivan@???>                 http://www.sportbusiness.com