Re: [Exim] Exim

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Sheldon Hearn
Para: cliff
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] Exim

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 04:13:56 PST, cliff@??? wrote:

> My linux masquerading gateway sits there & automatically checks my account
> at my ISP every so many minutes. It also checks my wife's account. It collects
> both our email accounts all day long and distributes the mail into local
> mailboxes.

That sounds like a job for fetchmail. Exim can't "pop" mail out of an
account.

> When either of us send mail, it goes to the linux box, which turns
> around and shoots the mail out to our separate IPS accounts.

Usually, you don't send mail to an "ISP account". However, it sounds
like you want to use two different smart relay hosts, conditional on
the sender. Exim can do that. The answer Q0326 gives an example of
conditional smarthosting, although your route_list will look more like
this:

  route_list = \
    * ${lookup{$sender_address}lsearch{/etc/smarthosts}{$value}} byname

This would assume an /etc/smarthosts file that looks something like
this:

wife@???:        smtp.isp.of.wife
myself@???:    smarthost.isp.of.myself

This will become clearer when you read the manual, particularly the
sections on lookups and expansion.

> I assume Exim can re-write whatever headers are necessary to do this.

Yep, you'd probably want something like this in the "REWRITE
CONFIGURATION" section of the configure file:

*@*.my.domain        $1@???        Ffrs

This would end up doing pretty much what sendmail's DM "masquerade"
option does.

> I realize I'll need a pop3 agent riding on top of Exim.

Well, perhaps just making use of the locally delivered messages. :-)

> So whaddya say folks - is it possible or am I looking at the wrong software
> to do what I'm wanting? Anybody doing things this way?

Exim can do the MTA side of what you want done, but do consider
something like fetchmail for grabbing your mail from your (multiple)
POP3 accounts.

As for your POP3 server, just about everyone here has an opinion,
and you either have your own or you're not in a position to evaluate
those of others, so there's no point in everyone on the list making
suggestions. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.

PS: Just about everything I've said assumes you're not permanently
    connected to the Internet.  Also, none of the configuration examples
    I've given have been tested; they're provided to get you going,
    since the Exim manual and FAQ make for a lot of reading. :-)