Re: [Exim] Large attachments.

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Vadim Vygonets
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Large attachments.

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 11:12:49 +0300, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> > Assuming that you are using the mbox format for mailboxes, why don't you try
> > using the Maildir format this would make your life much easier, the message
> > is then stored as an individual file so you have no problems whether the
> > file is 2megs or 95 megs.
>
> Not to mention that it should not matter even when using mbox on
> real operating system.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think the operating system has much
to do with how the mailbox is used. Two platform-independent problems
crop up with large mbox files:

1) Large deliveries lock the mailbox for a relatively long time,
requiring more deferred deliveries than would be necessary with
maildir.

2) Poor or no locking interaction amongst multiple MTA processes and
between the MTA and the MUA (including the likes of POP servers) can
easily cause mailbox corruption. The frequency of such corruption
tends to increase with the size of individual messages.

Ciao,
Sheldon.