Re: [Exim] So. domains in aliases issue

Góra strony
Autor: Philip Hazel
Dla: Derrick MacPherson
CC: exim-users
Temat: Re: [Exim] So. domains in aliases issue
On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Derrick MacPherson wrote:

> I have user accounts in the form
> derrickm
> So I can accept mail at derrickm@???
> We use the form
> derrick_macpherson@??? on our biz cards and such.
>
> I can't seem to accept mail that is sent to
> derrick_macpherson
> with no domainname. Is this possible?

Sent by whom? If sent on the local machine, Exim will add the qualify
domain. If such mail is coming in from remote hosts, it is violating the
SMTP specification, which says that all addresses must have domains.
However, there are options in Exim to allow certain hosts to send
unqualified addresses. Do a search on "unqualified".

> reasoning is that we want to be able to get mail to
> derrick_macpherson@???

Surely not? There must be another derrick_macpherson somewhere in the
world, and if you want to send mail to him, what happens????

If you want to get mail to derrick_macpherson@??? then
just make all your domains local, and set up a suitable aliasing
director that ignores the domain. Or a smartuser.