Re: [Exim] How to Secure SMTP/POP transaction]

Autor: Kevin Sindhu
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] How to Secure SMTP/POP transaction]
On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 02:22:05PM -0000, worthy so wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are running exim 3.16 on a RH server.
> My question is : "How can SMTP/POP authentication process be secured
> between my server and a remote client which is sending his password
> in plaintext ?"

Well...I've vaugely read about APOP...however if the user is running *nix, the data can be encrypted using stunnel. Alternatives are also ssh-tunnelling etc.

At present on my systems, encryption is done the following ways

For reading mail:

I am running imaps, which works great for clients such as netscape and outlook. Unfortunetly clients such as Eudora, do not do imaps..

For sending mail:

I am using STARTTLS, which works wish again clients such as Outlook/Netscape Mail

For General mail encryption:

Gnupgp/PGP/SMIME

---end quoted text---

-Kevin

-=Pgp Key=- mailto:kevin@open-systems.org with Subject: Send pgp key
Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy,
But it's very funny--
Did you ever try buying them without money?
                -- Ogden Nash