Re: [Exim] Process failed while writing...

Author: Oliver Cook
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Process failed while writing...
On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 09:15:54PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:

> > All I've got to go in is that one solitary log line! ;)
>
> Maybe it didn't even manage to start up Exim? Dunno. I'm mystified.

Solved the mystery! :)

One of my colleagues set up a mechanism to distribute
a system_filter around all the mail servers and then
to HUP them to take effect. However, the pid files were
in different places on some legacy systems so he chose
killall -HUP exim - he did tell me at the time, but I'd
just forgotten!

Anyway - all sorted now, and the legacy systems brought
up to speed! It was the timestamp on the log entry that
led me to it ;)

Just a thought, ought hupping an exim child cause it to
fail like it did?

Cheers,

Ollie
--
Oliver Cook    Systems Administrator, ClaraNET
ollie@???               020 7903 3065