Re: [Exim] exim 3.22 problem on solaris 2.6

Author: Yann Golanski
To: EXIM Users
CC: 'Gary Palmer', exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim 3.22 problem on solaris 2.6
On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 09:43:53AM +0100, EXIM Users quothed:
> Anyone got any suggestions as to how we can log this further?, as it's
> difficult to determine which messages will cause this problem it's hard to
> start truss'ing random exim processes...

Fistly, roll back to a previous version fo exim. Yes, it's a pain in the
but if it's a live system you cannot afford to loose emails.

If you can, try doing some debugging... Donno how much you know about
coding, so don't get offended if I'm too simple and ask if you don't get
it.

Write a small perl script that hammers a mail server with "Hello world"
mails.

Run exim as a deamon with a -d 9 and dump all the output to a file.
Then, once you see one of those un-matched -D files, stop the hammering
and look at the debugging. Chances are that this will not tell you
anything usefull -- but you never know.

Then, do the real painfull one. Run an "strace -ff exim -db" and hammer
your server again. You'll get tons of output, but this *will* tell you
when/where exim crashes. Again you have to find that line in the output.

Once you get that line, it should shine some light as to what exim is
doing/not doing. If you're not sure how to fix it, post as ,uch info to
the list, and me or Nigel maybe able to find the time to fix it. Note
that I don't have access to a solaris box, so cann't test it.

Hope that helps.

--
                         www.kierun.org
Yann@???                                Use Pretty Good Privacy.