Re: [Exim] Heavy traffic (kind of) solved!

Autor: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
A: Sam Michaels
CC: Andrew D, Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Heavy traffic (kind of) solved!
On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Sam Michaels wrote:

> Steve Haslam's message cleared this up..it was 'file-max'. So, I increased
> it from 4096 to 8192 but then it just kept going until it consumed all
> available resources:
>
> [Jun 1 2001 13:14:02] Unexpected return code: 421 xxx.xxx.xxx: Fork failed
> : Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> Is there a way to limit the number of children processes?

There are several ways, depending what the children are started to do.
We might get a better idea what sort of children they are from the log
files.

Try reading about options smtp_accept_max, remote_max_parallel,
and queue_only. There are several other config options and command line
options which limit children. You might find queue_only_load and
deliver_load_max particulaarly helpful.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna