[Exim] Re: Smarthost DNS timeout

Góra strony
Autor: Morten Bo Johansen
Dla: exim-users
Temat: [Exim] Re: Smarthost DNS timeout
Andrew D <awd@???> wrote:

> > 2001-06-03 11:45:40 translation@??? R=smarthost defer (-37):
> > host lookup for smtp.worldonline.dk did not complete (DNS timeout?)
> >
> > This only happens with messages that are over ca. 70K in size.
> > With shorter messages there are no delivery problems.

> That doesn't sound right. message size should not make a diff
> in DNS lookups. My guess there is some sort of network issues
> involved here ie lots of data on ur external bandwidth if you
> know what I mean :) are u using ur own name server or the ISP's
> that u are connected to? if the ISP's, setup a caching name
> server on the local network and point the box running exim to
> it (if you don't already have one) that should in theory solve
> the problem.

It's a standalone Debian box running exim in what I believe is
a pretty default configuration. I just use the ordinary
pon/poff scripts to connect to my ISP and I use their
nameservers. I don't see anything else using my bandwidth.

Isn't there some parameter I could use to disable the DNS
lookups? (if it makes any sense to do so)

Thanks,

Morten

--
"Either we live by accident and die by accident, or we live by plan and
 die by plan."                                        (Thornton Wilder)