Re: [Exim] system_filter.exim

Author: Odhiambo Washington
To: Nigel.Metheringham
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] system_filter.exim
* Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@???> [20010525 18:40]: writing on the subject 'Re: [Exim] system_filter.exim'
Nigel>
Nigel> wash@??? said:
Nigel> > How does the filter compare to a commercial virus scanner?
Nigel>
Nigel> Its not a virus scanner. It catches a couple of easy virus header
Nigel> signatures and it looks for particular MIME types. It does *not* scan
Nigel> content, look in attachments or look at more than the first few
Nigel> kilobytes of the message. If you have a system vulnerable to viruses
Nigel> then you should think of additional protection.

I now see the point in black & white. Thanks Nigel, for the insight.
However, I still have a request and the request emanates from my daftness
in not being able to get to correctly configure directors and routers for
the Amavis scanner. Even the port maintainer (in FreeBSD) - Roman
Shterenzon <roman@???>, says he cannot support Exim, and I quote
him:

Roman> * Roman Shterenzon <roman@???> [20010518 16:10]: writing on the
Roman> subject 'Re: [Exim] Problem After AMAVIS'
Roman>
Roman> The reason qmail, exim and postfix were disabled is that I didn't have
Roman> clear instructions about how to configure them as a relay with
Roman> scanning.
Roman> The port aim was to set up a system where all mail, and not just local
Roman> will be scanned.

Is it possible for you to help us with this? Is it something that Exim
cannot do? I've seen also a few others ask about Exim and Amavis, I've
been monitoring but there haven't come any responses from the 'senior'
Exim users.

Nigel> It does kill off most of the mail worms seen to date quite nicely.

Quite fabulously !! I am so impressed. I am tempted to think that my users
are now safe, no? Since it has become extremely difficult to get so many
file types past my Exim...

I am most grateful.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington Wananchi Online Ltd.,
wash@??? 1st Flr Loita Hse

Children should be heard, not obscene.
-Father Brennan's Famous Footnote