Re: [Exim] large-ish mailing list

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: mark david mcCreary
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] large-ish mailing list

On Fri, 25 May 2001 09:12:26 EST, mark david mcCreary wrote:

> My understanding is that the only solution is to call exim with lists
> of around 1,000 addresses each. That is, bust up your list of
> 100,000 into smaller lists of 1,000 in some form or fashion. Perhaps
> by calling exim with a 1,000 addresses each time, instead of using
> the aliasfile feature.

I came to the same conclusion for a 400K+ address mailing list. It
seems like a simple trade-off between the disk consumption of the queue
and delivery latency. It's a trade-off I'm comfortable with.

> If you figure out a better solution, please let me know.

Likewise, although I can't see how Exim could be made to spawn a
delivery process for a recipipent as soon as routing for a single
expanded address is established, because Exim is quite clever about
duplicate addresses and what have you.

Ciao,
Sheldon.