Re: [Exim] ident queries?

Author: Dave C.
To: Sascha E. Pollok
CC: exim-users, sv
Subject: Re: [Exim] ident queries?
<-- Warning: charset 'X-UNKNOWN' is not supported -->

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Sascha E. Pollok wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> we are doing ident-queries within all SMTP-sessions
> that come in from remote networks. One of our
> customers is currently in trouble with a company
> that is trying to send email to him because
> the remote firewall-admin is discarding ident-queries.
> My questions, although it might be slightly OT here, are:
>
>  a) Is there a common opinion whether ident is a good or
>     a bad thing?

In these days of end-users on PC workstations directly connected to the
Net, it is less usefull than it used to be.

>  b) Is it a good decision to discard ident-connections towards
>     a SMTP-server instead of rejecting them? IMHO exim should
>     give up with ident queries in case the connection is
>     rejected or am I wrong here?

If the firewall is silently dropping them, it is misconfigured. It
should send an ICMP unreachable, or maybe even a connection refused.
This has been discussed previously on this list, you may wish to search
the archives.