Re: [Exim] Files left in /var/spool/exim/input

Author: Simon Huggins
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Files left in /var/spool/exim/input
'ello Philip

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 02:05:01PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > On a machine of ours we have files left in /var/spool/exim/input
> > dating from last week sometime which don't show up in mailq.
> > They all end in -D and there are no corresponding -H files (except
> > for the few valid messages still on the queue that just haven't been
> > delivered yet).
> D without H is an incomplete message. This could happen if, as a
> message was arriving, its D file got written and then the system
> crashed. (Or Exim crashed - but of course that would *never* happen.
> :-)

Hmm, that machine has been up since the 2nd May at least (wtmp rotated
then) so it hasn't crashed.
Could it happen if the thing that was feeding it had died for some
reason?

> I have a note to investigate a way of bringing such wreckage to the
> admin's attention. Meanwhile, if these are old files, the only thing
> you can really do is just rm them.

Fair enough, I'll just get rid of them but I'm a little confused as to
where they could have come from.

> > All the files in that directory have permissions:
> > -rw-------    1 mail     mail
> > And the -H seem to contain valid messages there were indeed sent out
> > last week (possibly the frozen messages I deleted with -Mrm but that
> > should delete the files right?)
> Er, I thought you said they were all -D files?

Yes, sorry, the -D ones. But they do seem to be complete messages - the
end appears intact and there are about 50 of them like this.

> -Mrm should remove both the -H and the -D file.

I can't think of anything else I've done to exim recently out of the
ordinary that would have caused this.

Simon.

--
"Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon - that's hard." - Scotty