Re: [Exim] local <-> virtual domains?

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: Sanjeev Gupta
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] local <-> virtual domains?
On Sun, 20 May 2001, Sanjeev Gupta wrote:

> > [1] By the way, I use vm-pop3d so my users can retrieve their mail.
>
> You do? I thought you suggested a patched gnu-pop3d. I did that, based on,
> IIRC, your virtualmail package last year.

I forked gnu-pop3d. gnu-pop3d has not been maintained/updated since
October 1999. I released around ten patches (and the mailing list offered
numerous fixes) that were never used. The only bad thing is that I wish it
wasn't restricted via the GPL.

vm-pop3d (virtualmail-pop3d) fixes a variety of little problems, adds
virtual domain support (via IP and/or USER name), adds more logging and
debugging, and has more documentation; in addition, it has a developer
mailing list and suggestions are considered. The authentication code is
being rewritten so a variety of different authentication methods/formats,
like btree(3), hash(3), mysql, LDAP, etc., can easily be implemented.

If anyone wants to discuss POP3 servers, consider using the vm-pop3d
mailing list(s) or pop-imap@??? mailing list -- because this is
getting off-topic.

http://www.reedmedia.net/software/virtualmail-pop3d/

  Jeremy C. Reed