Re: [Exim] SMTP Push

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Nigel Metheringham
Cc: Andrew Chant, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] SMTP Push
On Wed, 16 May 2001, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> > This all sounds so easy, but there is a slight flaw in the plan. The
> > messages will need to be accessed by other software, so they will need
> > to be stored in the maildir format.

You (not you, Nigel, I mean Andrew) mean "non-BSMTP" format, that is,
without SMTP commands, just as pure 822 messages. You can't really call
that "maildir format".

> In that case make sure that exim is writing the Return-Path: and
>
> - connects to the SMTP or BSMTP server - ie open "|/usr/sbin/exim -bS"
> - opens the maildir file
> - reads the first couple of lines (ie envelope-to & return-path)
> - writes "MAIL FROM <contents of return-path>"
> - writes "RCPT TO <contents of envelope-to>"

It's a bad day for typos (I posted > instead of | for a pipe earlier
today). That should read

- writes "MAIL FROM:<contents of return-path>"
- writes "RCPT TO:<contents of envelope-to>"

The colons are vital. Strictly there shouldn't be any space between :
and < but most MTAs don't mind. (Note that < and > are characters that
should actually appear in the line; they are not metacharacters
surrounding a data description.)

> - writes "DATA"
> - shoves message data down pipe

... and then writes "."

> - finishes up
>
> You probably want a couple of wrinkles - most of that should be in a
> per file loop, and you want to check for lines starting with "." and
> double them.

and you should check the return code from exim. See documentation on
BSMTP for how Exim handles errors in -bS mode.