Re: [Exim] Delivery failure to fedex.com

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: daniel-ml-reply
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Delivery failure to fedex.com
On Mon, 14 May 2001, Daniel Einspanjer wrote:

> I am indeed starting queue runners once an hour.

> I'll search through the documentation a bit more, but in case someone

can answer it off hand, does this mean that the first part of the retry
rule stating every 15 minutes for 2 hours will never happen since a
queue runner is not running within those intervals?

What will happen after a failure is that Exim will record the hint: "It
is not worth retrying this host again until 15 minutes from now". If the
next queue runner doesn't start within the next 15 minutes, then
whenever it does start, the delivery will be retried.

> If you look at the times listed on the log excerpts in my prior

message, you will see that in the first example, the time elapsed
between the original receipt of the local message and the total failure
of delivery resulting in an error message was only two seconds.

The name servers for fedex.com are screwed. I think this might explain
the odd behaviour you have been seeing:

-------- Nameserver auth50.ns.uu.net for fedex.com --------
fedex.com               MX      300 smtp.dmz.fedex.com
 !!! fedex.com MX host smtp.dmz.fedex.com has no A record
fedex.com               MX      100 mapper.mail.fedex.com
 !!! fedex.com MX host mapper.mail.fedex.com has no A record
fedex.com               MX      200 smtp.zmd.fedex.com
 !!! fedex.com MX host smtp.zmd.fedex.com has no A record
-------- Nameserver grace.fedex.com for fedex.com --------
-------- Nameserver land.fedex.com for fedex.com --------