Re: [Exim] returned message size

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Hana Breyer Priselac
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] returned message size
On Tue, 8 May 2001, Hana Breyer Priselac wrote:

> message_size_limit=2000K
> returned_size_limit=500K
>
> Messages larger than 2000K are not accepted, and the sender gets the message
> saying that message size is above the limit. Sender should also get only
> first 500K of his original message (as set in returned_size_limit), but he
> gets the entire (sometimes Very Large) message.

I suspect that's because the sending MTA has used the SIZE option, so
Exim has rejected the message at the MAIL FROM command stage, so the
bounce message was generated by the sending MTA, not your Exim.

You can confirm this by looking at the bounce message and checking out
its header lines.

Actually, come to think of it, even if the sender didn't use SIZE, Exim
will bounce the message by giving an error return at the end of the
message, so the same thing applies. Basically, it won't let over large
messages into your system if you set the global message_size_limit
option.

Philip