[Exim] queue runners not processing mails?

Autor: EXIMUsers
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] queue runners not processing mails?
Hi all,

As you may have seen from my "Exim performance on large mail systems"
posting a couple of days ago we've just switched over to using 'queue_only',
'queue_run_max = 200' and starting exim with '-bd -q1m' as a number of other
people have suggested to combat high loads...

This is causing major problems though, now mails are taking up to 20 minutes
to even be reached by a queue runner - I can only guess this is because we
have a lot of mails in our queue and the randomized queue running process is
just working against us and some mails aren't getting looked at for a long
time?? There are no connectivity issues to this remote site, i'm simple
sending a mail to a <nonexistant-localpart>@remotedomain.com to see how long
it'll take to bounce and the mail is sitting in my outbound mail queue for
15 to 20 minutes before a delivery is even attempted.

Is there anyway I can speed this process up without reverting back to
attempting deliveries as soon as mails are received (which results in >800
exim processes loading).

Thanks,
Jon Paxton